Get in Touch


We provide intervention specialists in Toronto and across Canada.




  • sangfroidintervent

Essentials You Need To Know About Interventions

As you research drug addiction, alcoholism, or any other addictions your loved one and you are facing, you start to realize that an intervention may be necessary to help you, help them.

Planning an intervention for your loved one's addiction raises many questions, such as:

What is an intervention?

An intervention for addiction is a formal or informal meeting of a group of friends, family, and interventionists from Sangfroid Intervention. Together we inspire a change in the addict's behavior.

The group discusses the reality of the situation and how the addict's behavior affects their lives and the ones around them. With professional guidance from Sangfroid's interventionists, trained professionals help encourage the person to seek help for their addiction.

Using a combination of education and support, we create a structured opportunity for the addict to make a positive change.

When is an intervention required?

Addicts are often in denial, struggling to face their harsh reality. It is best for them to make the personal choice and to seek help on their own; however, many require the support of their friends and family in order to take the crucial, first step toward recovery.

An intervention is needed if your addicted loved one shows any of the following signs and symptoms:

  • Personal, social, financial, and professional difficulties as a result of their addiction.

  • Unable to control use despite the problems their behaviour is causing.

  • Fails to see the predicaments in the world they have created for themselves and remains in a state of denial.

  • Repeatedly unreceptive to family members or friends' feelings, opinions, and support regarding their addictive behavior.

An intervention involves what type of people?

An intervention typically includes a combination of the individual's friends, family and professional interventionists from Sangfroid Intervention. In some cases, professional intervention may include other types of counselors, therapists, and sponsors.

Choose the right group of people to participate in the intervention and exclude anyone who supports or condones drug use in any way. People who truly love and care for your loved one suffering from addiction should be the only participants, along with any professional help brought into the situation.

How is an intervention planned?

A properly planned intervention can dramatically change its process and outcome.

Some things to consider when planning an intervention:

The chosen group: Carefully consider which friends and family to include. Contact a professional at Sangfroid Intervention for guidance in laying the foundation for the entire process.

A safe location: A private home or office is better than a public location. Choose a comfortable and safe space for everyone involved, especially the addicted loved one.

Sharing information: Sangfroid Intervention educates you and the group on addiction so that you feel more prepared for the intervention. If the group is not well informed, members may find it challenging to properly communicate their message to the addict.

Preparing the message: Take the time to speak to our interventionists and the other group members so that you know exactly what you're going to say. Avoid using "you" statements and use "I feel" statements to show how the addict's behaviour has impacted you.

Follow-up help: Now that the intervention has or is coming to a close, what are the plans now? A treatment plan must be ready. Sangfroid Intervention helps during the post-intervention process and prepares both for the addict and their family during this time.

As the addicted person’s loved ones, it is essential for you to be aware of as many outcomes as possible. But, ideally, the person with an addiction will be admitted into a treatment center the same day as the intervention. These arrangements will all be prepared beforehand.

Preparing for the worst: It is possible that your loved one will continue to stay in denial, refusing your support and/or to seek treatment. Our interventionists help plan for this scenario and provide options for "what's next?".

Do immediately stop any enabling behaviors such as access to finances, housing, vehicles and so on that may support the addictive behaviors.

Every intervention is successful.

​Research suggests that up to 95% of interventions succeed at getting the person into treatment. The other 5% are not a failure.

Through the process of the intervention with the education and support, the family system is changed and regardless if your person goes to treatment or not, the system will never be the same.

If you're wondering if an intervention is needed for someone you love, please don't hesitate to contact Sangfroid Intervention & Associates today. Our services are available Canada-wide at 1-800-891-5570.